Tuesday, July 29, 2014

i'll have what she's having {skin bootcamp}


Unfortunately for me, I've never been blessed with naturally clear, glowing, oh-I-just-woke-up-like-this skin. And if we're being totally honest around here (because, hey, why not?) my skin has taken a beating the past few years during my 20s. Between working long hours, skimping on sleep and neglecting my diet from time to time (I guess those Annie's cheddar bunny snacks have finally caught up with me), it's clear to me I am in desperate need of a skin routine reboot. 

My skin has always been oily prone, but it wasn't until I moved from a really dry, hot climate (Nevada) to a more damp and cool environment (hello, SF!), that I saw a dramatic difference in how sensitive my skin really can be. These days, I've set a few mini obtainable goals for my skin routine with a short shopping list to try out (including a few of the products shown above). Let's kick things off here shall we?

1. Water: Seems like a no brainer, because really, it's on just about every tip list for skin care. I'm making more of an effort lately to swap out my coffee and Diet Coke for large bottles of water throughout the day. 
2. Makeup-free days: More often than not, Sundays are my down day, reserved for park adventures with Elvis, late brunch and email catch up, i.e. no makeup required. I like giving my skin a break to breathe, even if most of my makeup is oil-free and non-pore-clogging. 
3. Dairy: So my general doctor and my dermatologist disagreed on this point (dermatologist didn't think it would make a difference, doctor did) but I've wanted to try cutting dairy out for a while now to see if it would move the needle at all. There are lots of theories about the hormones in dairy and their correlation with acne and I'm by no means an expert in this area -- just merely trying it out to see if it works for me. I'll keep you posted.
4. Exercise: While there are lots of obvious reasons to work out more often, if we're purely talking about skin quality here, I have to say my skin has always been clearest when I've consistently been running 3 plus miles a day. Sweat it out, right?

As for my weapons of choice? Shop my top contenders right here...


6 comments:

  1. great tips! thanks for sharing.


    www.amoderngypsy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure how I ever survived without my Clarisonic! Great roundup!

    xoxo
    Cathy, your Poor Little It Girl
    http://poorlittleitgirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. water is certainly my weak point, I usually drink coffee all day, eek!!

    www.andrea-clare.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great advices!! Thank you so much! I'll try some!!
    XOX, Gap.
    www.gaptoothedgirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. And sunscreen. I just turned 43 but people think I'm still in my mid to late 30s. Yes New Zealand's sun will fry you in a minute, but I swear, regular use has made my skin stand the test of time.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics